Welcome to Midlife Boulevard – the place for women at midlife.
Isn’t being in the middle of things always the most exciting place to be? In the middle of a conversation, in the middle of a party, in the middle of a great book, a wonderful movie, a delicious meal – on the edge of the beginning, anticipating what’s to come. That’s what we think midlife is. The time of life where so much has happened, and so much more is possible.
You may wonder:
“Am I at midlife?”
The answer? You are if you think you are.
- Maybe you’re a grandmother at 38, or the mother of toddlers at 48, or the parent of teens at 58.
- You may be an empty nester, or your home may be filled with boomerang kids of all ages.
- You may have children in high school or middle school, first grade or fourth.
- Some of you are single, some are married, many are divorced, and there are midlife widows, too.
- You may be at the height of your career, or you may have been downsized out of your job.
- Your home may be a skyscraper, a ranch house, a McMansion or a cottage.
- Perhaps you’ve lived in one place all your life, or maybe you’ve traveled the world, peripatetic and footloose.
- You may be menopausal, or you may not. You may be healthy and strong, or maybe you’re battling illness.
- Your hair may be naturally grey or blonde from a bottle. You may wear high heels, Birkenstocks, running shoes or flip-flops.
What matters is…how do you feel?
- Do you feel like you’re in the middle of something?
- Do you look back and remember as often as you look ahead and wonder?
- Is who you’ve been all your life propelling you forward…or is it holding you back?
Here on the Boulevard, we don’t think midlife is something that should make you uncomfortable in the world. Just like any phase of life – adolescence, young adulthood, old age – midlife brings a variety of experiences unique to this time in our lives.
We may no longer be young, but we can still be youthful.
We may not be wide-eyed, but we can share our knowledge with those around us.
We may have already experienced many of the major life events that have shaped who we are, but ahead of us, up the boulevard, are surprises and stops we can’t even imagine.
One thing most of us know for sure is that we have lots left to do, to learn, to experience, to see, to taste – so much left to enrich our lives as we embrace this midpoint. Though much has changed since we were 25 – our families, our lifestyles, our friends, our clothes (oh, the clothes!) – we are essentially the same women we’ve been all along. Our circumstances may have shifted, but the heart of who we are, each of us, for most of us, is the same.
Being on Midlife Boulevard is a place of both comfort and challenge. The past and all we’ve done is like a big, cushiony pillow where we can rest our heads when we need a moment to be safe and calm. The years ahead seem like an open road – a boulevard– to stroll on, or drive down, or pedal leisurely on a bicycle – tooting our horns as we go. We have much to say, we women at midlife.
We’re happy and excited to be here, at midlife. We’re glad you’re here on Midlife Boulevard, too.
Sharon Greenthal and Anne Parris, Managing Partners and Co-Founders