Walking down a busy city street, the chauvinistic advertising executive portrayed by Mel Gibson in the movie What Women Want, is going slightly crazy as he suddenly can hear all of the thoughts inside the heads of each woman passing by. I can’t even imagine my husband listening in to my thoughts as I constantly process and ponder all of my current roles! However, gift giving seasons are times which it might be beneficial.
When asked the questions, “Now, what does Pam want for Christmas?,” I turn into one of those martyr-types who pitifully smiles and says…”oh, just take care of the family”…that is all that is really important to me. However, inside of my brain, I am saying….that amazing $200 plaid coat at Coldwater Creek would be perfect or wrap up those Michael Kors English riding boots at Nordstrom!
I decided to poll a group of women 40+ to see what is on their Christmas list and suddenly I became the movie character barraged with different thoughts…yes, we come in all shapes and sizes…and likes and dislikes…apparent here. So, if it helps, gift givers, you might want to consider some of the items on this list:
- An iPad Mini
- Tickets to see the Journey concert in May
- A great pair of Old Gringo Boots
- A spa package (now I like the way this woman thinks!)
- Nail salon gift certificates for a year (Like this one also)
- A surprise…of jewelry, make up or even restaurant gift cards
- New clothes
- Gift cards from Chicos, Soft Surroundings, Marshalls, Coldwater Creek (I know sounds like me, but isn’t!)
- New Phone
- Barnes & Noble cards
- Despicable Me and Despicable Me 2…(I don’t get this one at all, but I haven’t seen the movies!)
- Pretty pajamas
- A handheld blender, Mary Kay cosmetics, and rubber yard shoes (when I read the last one, I sighed and determined to spend some time with this lady encouraging her to enjoy life!)
- UGG Boots
- Earrings by Jude Frances
- Tickets to travel…just about anywhere! She wants experiences!
Variety, huh? Here are some points I would like to recommend if your significant other asks, What would you like for Christmas?
- You are important….you matter. Do not shy away from answering the question with items which would truly put a smile on your face…I guess if that is rubber garden shoes, go for it!
- Forget practicality…what are things you would love and not purchase for yourself.
- If there are things you would NOT like to see under the tree, say so or you give up the right to be upset about it. (After I received a robot vacuum, I decided to never again be silent)
- Have an honest discussion about clothing several weeks before the holiday. And I mean honest. I would rather have a gift card to a favorite retailer and shop myself…that really blesses me. I love to shop. Some men have the ability to select clothing for their ladies which fits perfectly. My body is tough to fit and ever changing…often, his clothing purchase can turn the holiday sour….because it doesn’t fit well, and makes him feel bad or focus on my body size. After many uncomfortable moments attempting to make his garment selection work, I now gently remind him that I prefer a gift card. My mother always thought I was larger than I was (including purchasing a huge sweatshirt with an elephant on it for a gift) and my husband always thinks I am smaller than I am. No-win situation.
So, what would Mel Gibson’s character hear going on inside of your head? Let’s keep helping the gift givers out…what would you like to see under the tree or even receive for your next birthday??
With fifteen days left until Christmas, if anyone stops by the Joy Boutique, I am pushing music and laughter…two gifts we shouldn’t be without. Thanks for stopping by and have a joyous week…hope your jingles jangle!
Editors note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links.
Wednesday 18th of December 2013
I love this one Pamela. For years I wouldn't ask for what I wanted because I thought he should know. Why couldn't he read my mind? Did I really have to give him a list? The answer, of course, is yes. This year I really can't ask for anything since my hubby is taking us to Paris. But I would like to have lunch at Gerard Depardieu's home. Although I think he moved to Belgium due to taxes. Oh well, a shearling coat and year long supply of croissants will have to do.
Saturday 14th of December 2013
Hi Pam, I used to give my husband a catalogue with several options marked including size and color preference. Now I pick out a Cleveland Orchestra concert and we go together.
Wednesday 11th of December 2013
I too was able to find the snowflake pin at Caldwater Creek. The sales associate said it was not available and I saw it in the window after I left the store. I love it!!!
Tuesday 10th of December 2013
i agree with many of those with the obvious exception of the rubber boots! You must see Despicable ME!
Tuesday 10th of December 2013
I think I will make this a must for over my Christmas break from teaching, Carla! Thanks for the comment!