Spicy Chicken Recipes!
Nancy Fox has a variety of recipes over at Skinny Kitchen that will meet your dietary needs and your taste for flavorful foods. These hot and spicy skinny drumsticks are just a small example of what she shares. Be sure to stop by!
You’re going to love these skinny, spicy drumsticks. Think spices of hot wings, fried chicken and barbecue chicken all in one! I’ve made them skinny by removing all the skin before coating and frying in a small amount of olive oil.
Prepare these chicken legs in three steps. First, coating the chicken in a well-seasoned flour mixture and refrigerating them. Next, lightly frying the legs, and finally, smothering with bbq sauce and baking them. Sounds like a lot of work, but really isn’t. Each leg has 166 calories, 3 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.
Hot and Spicy Drumsticks Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook and Bake Time: 50 minutes
Refrigerator Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste, for desired amount of spice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 12 chicken legs, skin removed, see shopping
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Cooking spray (We like olive oil spray.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I like Sweet Baby Rays; see shopping tip.)
- 2-3 tablespoons hot sauce, to taste
1. Add flour and all dry seasonings to a plastic bag. Place chicken legs in bag and seal. Shake well to coat. Refrigerate in plastic bag for at least 20 minutes. Can be stored in the fridge for several hours.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a large, nonstick pan with cooking spray. Heat olive oil in pan. Add all chicken legs to pan and fry on each side for about 3 minutes, until browned.
3. Line a baking pan/cookie sheet with foil.
4. In a small bowl, combine barbecue sauce and hot sauce, to taste. Add browned legs to mixture and coat well.
5. Place legs on the foil-lined pan and bake in oven for 40 minutes.
Makes 12 legs (you might want to serve 1-2 legs per serving, depending on what else you’re serving with them).
Skinless chicken is packed with protein. It’s loaded with vitamins and nutrients, such as niacin, B6, B12, vitamin D, iron and zinc.
Most supermarkets carry Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce. Or use your favorite bbq sauce.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 5
Weight Watchers POINT PLUS 4
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 chicken leg
166 calories, 3g fat, 1g sat. fat, 14g protein, 20g carbs, 1g fiber, 266mg sodium, 11g sugar
Thursday 5th of January 2017
Happy, Healthy, Delicious New Year Everybody! Thanks for sharing my recipe. Enjoy!
With my warmest wishes, Nancy