This easy Weight Watchers sesame chicken recipe is a perfect dish for a weeknight, whether for a family or just two. I’m serving it over steamed cabbage to savor every bit of the sweet Asian glaze. It’s so yummy this way and is fiber rich. Or, you could serve it over brown rice. Each skinny serving has just 193 calories, 2 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Chicken:
4 (4 ounces each) chicken breast, boneless, skinless
1 cup regular onions (yellow), chopped
¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, see shopping tips
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2-3 packets Truvia, Stevia or Splenda (sugar substitute), to taste
1 tablespoon ginger, from a jar, see shopping tips
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon cornstarch or flour
Ingredients for Serving:
1 bag shredded cabbage (~5 cups)
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons scallions, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place chicken in dish. Sprinkle onions all over. Combine soy sauce and next 5 ingredients (through garlic); pour over chicken.
3. Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Check for doneness.
4. Pour sauce in small pot. In a small dish, mix the cornstarch with a little water to dissolve. If using flour, not necessary. Whisk it into the sauce. Bring heat up to a boil, turn down to low and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens a bit. Pour sauce over chicken.
5. Add cabbage to a microwave safe bowl and cook in microwave for 2-3 minutes until soft.
6. To serve: Divide cabbage on 4 plates. Add 1 breast and spoon sauce over the top of chicken and cabbage. Sprinkle the top of each serving with ½ teaspoon sesame seeds and sliced scallions.
Makes 4 servings (each serving, 1 chicken breast and sauce)
Hoisin sauce can be found in the Asian section of the supermarket.
Ginger in a jar is a terrific product and can be found in the produce section of the supermarket. Store the jar in the refrigerator.
Weight Watchers (old points) 3
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 5
Find more delicious recipes from Nancy Fox on her website, Skinny Kitchen