For the second year in a row, women who blog for midlife and beyond audiences will gather for the Bloggers at Midlife conference (BAM). BAM 2016 will be held in Las Vegas. This conference is smaller than massive blogging conferences, yet powerful and informative. Since many attend a conference with hopes of promoting and growing their own brands, what to wear can be an important consideration.
When we arrived at the first BAM last year in Nashville, weather became a challenge. The hotel complex maintained a steady 70 degrees inside for its tropical forest/greenhouse interior, but outside the city was dealing with an unexpected ice storm and snowfall. Cool photo shoots though… from palm trees to snow scenes!
In checking the weather predictions for Las Vegas, Nevada in mid-April, it is much like last year’s hotel interior with a few showers currently predicted for that week. Of course, it is difficult to know exactly what will happen, but attendees may want to pack an umbrella just in case.
Here are some points to keep in mind when planning for a conference:
- Attendees will have the opportunity to meet with both, brands and companies representing brands.
- Attendees will meet other bloggers who may want to participate in future collaborations.
- Conference rooms are notoriously colder, so cardigans or jackets may be in order for meeting days, particularly if you tend to get cold easily.
- As I said up front, you are representing your brand. What do you want your clothing of choice to say about YOU? When meeting new business people, the outside cover is critical. They want to know their own brand is in good hands if they choose to work with you. If you are meticulous about your own look, they may think that you will be meticulous in how you portray them on your blog. Remember, at a smaller blogging conference you are noticed more than in the immense crowds of the larger ones.
- It is quite easy to be comfortable and look your best at the same time. In fact, I am most comfortable when I am confident with what I am wearing. Confidence is powerful and very important for a blogging conference. Be true to who you are. If you feel more confident in pants – wear them. If you believe you portray business confidence in a suit? Wear one.
- The great thing about a mid-April date is that it will be full on SPRING and not a transition period. But, again with those lighter weight fabrics, you may want to bring a wrap for the meeting times on Friday and Saturday.
- Stay away from fabrics which wrinkle easily (like linen). There are many brands which offer wonderful wrinkle-free fabrics. I recommend Foxcroft Collection no-iron blouses (affiliate link) for a classic, business style. A tailored jacket, with dark denim, and a Foxcroft Collection blouse is very appropriate for this situation if you are a denim-only girl. I also recommend a new product by Downy Wrinkle Releaser Plus. (affiliate link) Hang your clothes as soon as you get in your room, spray them with the product, and smooth out the wrinkles. They make a travel size that’s perfect for this trip.
- Coordinate your looks for multi-garment use over the 3-4 day period so that your packing is purposeful. Doing this also helps with shoe selection. Some may be attending shows on the strip, so make sure you consider a fun outfit or two for the evening. Since the temperature is still down in the 50s at night, a great pair of faux leather leggings would be a fun addition to your party-wardrobe.
Remember the wise words of Will Rogers, “You will never get a second chance to make a first impression.”
Why not try your clothes on at home? Stand in front of the mirror and ask, “What does this look say about me?” Controlling your messages are important for your confidence and your brand. Let’s have fun at BAM 2016 AND look our best!
If you have not yet registered but would like to find out more you can do so here at BAM Conference.
P.S. Jennifer Connolly and I have a surprise for the conference with our wardrobes, so stayed tuned to see some fun style if you are attending with us. See you next week, everyone … right here in The Joy Boutique!