As we move forward into 2016 everyone’s looking for those healthier recipes that are still delicious and satisfying. I’ve got the perfect vegetarian egg scramble that’s so simple to make. I used mostly egg whites and only 1 egg. I found adding just one egg really makes a difference. This scramble comes together really quickly once the onions and bell peppers are cooked in the microwave.Each serving has 179 calories, 5 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
1 cup purple or yellow onions, chopped
½ cup yellow bell peppers, chopped
½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
6 egg whites (¾ cup)
1 large egg, I like Eggland’s Best eggs, see substitution tip
¼ cup (1 oz) crumbled fat-free feta cheese, see shopping tip
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. On a microwave safe plate add onions and peppers. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until soft.
2. In a nonstick pan, melt 1 tablespoon of reduced-fat butter. Add cooked onions and peppers and sauté over medium-high heat until onions are golden, about 2-3 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and egg. Pour them into pan. Scramble until cooked.
4. Divide egg mixture among 2 plates. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons feta cheese on top of each. Add salt and pepper (optional) – to taste.
5. Serve with sliced tomatoes and 1 slice whole wheat toast, if desired.
Makes 2 servings
If you only want to make this scramble using egg whites, use 8 (1 cup) instead of 6 egg whites.
In addition, you can use all red bell peppers or all yellow. I used the combination for color.
Most supermarkets now carry fat-free feta cheese. You’ll find it either in the cheese aisle or gourmet cheese section.
Weight Watchers (old points) 3
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
179 calories, 5g fat, 19g protein, 13g carbs, 3g fiber, 376mg sodium, 1g sugar
FAT FACTS: for Denny’s Restaurant 2 egg scramble
250 calories, 21g fat, 13g protein, 1g carbs, 0g fiber, 235mg sodium, 0g sugar
Find more delicious and healthy recipes from Nancy Fox on her website, Skinny Kitchen.
Thursday 31st of December 2015
Thanks for sharing my egg scramble. It's an easy and yummy way to start the day.
Wishing you all a very Happy, Healthy New Year! Here's to 2016!!!
With my warmest regards, Nancy