Linda can be found sharing some incredible recipes like this one over at My WAHM Plan. This was originally featured there and it looks so good we are thrilled to share it with you!
This Sunday Roast Chicken is a favorite in our house. Hopefully this recipe will help inspire you and your Sunday meal planning! Speaking of inspired, my take on this recipe came after I was flipping through an old Bon Appétit magazine.
We didn’t have most of their ingredients, but that didn’t stop us! We used what we had on hand and loved the results. Feel free to add your own flair and substitute ingredients as needed.
Sunday Roast Chicken – serves 4
- 8-10 small red potatoes, well scrubbed and pierced with knife to allow steaming during cooking
- 2-4 medium Parsnips, well scrubbed, quartered lengthwise
- 5-6 medium carrots, well scrubbed, quartered lengthwise
- 1-2 medium onions, peeled, quartered
- 5-6 cremini mushrooms, washed, dried
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil of choice to coat pan and rack
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 7 sprigs fresh Rosemary, dried
- 1 4-5 pound whole organic (if possible) chicken, patted dry
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt or salt of choice (we used fresh ground pink Himalayan rock salt)
- 1 tablespoon dried Sage
- ¼ teaspoon ground dried Thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground dried Marjoram
- ¼ cup water or dry white wine
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Layer bottom of rack with sprigs of fresh Rosemary if desired. Layer cut vegetables on rack.
- Pour ¼ cup water in bottom of roaster.
- Place chicken in center of vegetables.
- Mix butter and sage together in small bowl. (Microwave butter to soften as needed.)
- Using a basting brush or fingertips, rub sage butter over chicken. Pull skin off breast meat and spread sage butter there if desired.
- Use the rest of the sage butter on vegetables.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and other dried herbs over chicken.
- Roast chicken and vegetables in 400° F oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375° F, continue roasting until thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165° F and veggies are tender.
- Stir and baste once.
- Add cremini mushrooms after 45 minutes cooking time.
- Cook for approximately an hour and 15 minutes. Check chicken for doneness right before the hour mark and plan cooking time accordingly.
- Once chicken and vegetables are done, transfer vegetables to serving bowl, cover to keep warm.
- Tilt chicken allowing juices to flow from chicken,
- Put chicken on cutting surface.
- Cut chicken and serve with vegetables.
Enjoy your family meal! If you struggle with getting your kids to eat different vegetables, you should definitely try these. My daughters love them.
Please share in comments- what is your favorite chicken dish?