Weight Watchers Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich
Find more incredible recipes by Nancy over at her website, Skinny Kitchen. This recipe was first featured there.
This delicious, quick to prepare dinner is not at all like a typical grilled ham and cheese. It’s very tasty with thin slices of dill pickle and mustard added, plus dipped into a buttermilk and egg batter before grilling. A French toast of sorts. This grilled cheese is skinny since we use a fiber-rich whole wheat bread, reduced-fat cheese, ham without nitrites AND we grill in reduced-fat butter. One sandwich has 367 calories, 10 grams fat, 9 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS and 11 grams of fiber!
Consider serving with a side salad or cup of mixed berries and fruits.
Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich Recipe with Weight Watchers Points
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
½ cup buttermilk
2 egg whites or 1 large egg
¼ cup spicy brown mustard or Dijon mustard
8 slices whole wheat or multi-grain bread (I like Milton’s Multi-Grain)
4 slices (1oz each) reduced-fat Havarti, Swiss or Jarlsberg cheese (see shopping tip)
8 ounces sliced lean ham or turkey ham, (see shopping tip)
2-3 deli style dill pickles, each sliced lengthwise into thin slices, (see shopping tip)
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a shallow bowl or pie plate, whisk together buttermilk and egg whites. Set aside.
3. Spread mustard on one side of each slice of bread. Top 4 slices with 1 slice of cheese. Arrange ham on top of cheese. Add to each 3-4 thin slices of pickle. Top with remaining bread slices, mustard side down.
4. Melt 1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Dip 2 sandwiches into buttermilk mixture; carefully flip and dip other side. Don’t soak the sandwiches in this mixture. Just lightly dip and remove sandwiches, allowing excess buttermilk mixture to drip back into dish.
5. Add sandwiches to pan; cover and cook 3-5 minutes. Uncover, flip sandwiches, press top down with a spatula, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden and cheese is melted. Remove sandwiches, place on a baking sheet and keep warm in oven.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 with remaining 2 sandwiches.
7. Slice each sandwich in half and serve with a fork and knife.
Makes 4 sandwiches (each serving, 1 sandwich)
This sandwich is very high in sodium due to the ham and pickles. If you’re on a low sodium diet, look for low sodium ham and omit the pickles.
Most supermarkets carry a good selection of sliced reduced-fat cheese. You can find it in the refrigerated section, or go to the deli section and have them slice your favorite cheese for you. I used Havarti and found it at Trader Joe’s.
Trader Joe’s sells (8 oz) packages of Black Forest ham. It’s uncured and contains ‘no nitrates.’ Most health food markets sell this type of ham too.
Bubbies kosher dill pickles are the best tasting pickles sold in jars. You’ll find them in the refrigerated deli section. I bought them at Food 4 Less, Von’s/Safeway and Whole Foods. Bubbies are sold in many natural food stores such as Whole Foods, Wild Oats, Organic Food Depot, Earth Fare and Co-Op stores.
Weight Watchers (old points) 7
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 9
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 sandwich
367 calories, 10g fat, 33g protein, 39g carbs, 10g fiber, 1329mg sodium, 7g sugar
FAT FACTS: for 1 sandwich
685 calories, 32g fat, 38g protein, 57g carbs, 4g fiber, 1949mg sodium, 9g sugar