Nancy can be found over at SkinnyKitchen sharing her favorite recipes.
Matzo Brei [MAHT-suh bri] is one of the great traditional breakfast or brunch treats. Look on the menu of any Jewish delicatessen and you’ll see this popular dish. Normally made by soaking matzo until soft, frying with eggs and serving with applesauce, cinnamon-sugar or jam on the side, it’s so delicious. But I’m shaking things up a bit! This savory, skinny recipe begins by sautéing fresh spinach, garlic and onions, then scrambling with matzo and eggs. It turns ordinary Matzo Brei into a really fabulous, healthy meal.
The skinny for 1 fiber-rich serving, 256 calories, 8 grams of fat, 6 grams of fiber and 6 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups onions (about 1 large), chopped
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground black pepper
10 ounces of fresh spinach or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
3 whole wheat matzos or regular, unsalted
6 egg whites
3 large eggs, I like Eggland’s Best eggs
1 tablespoon reduced-fat spread such as Smart Balance Light or Benecol Light
⅔ cup fat-free feta cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the onions in the microwave (don’t forget a microwave-safe plate!) for 2-3 minutes until soft.
2. Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-heat until hot. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in spinach and continue cooking for about 1-2 minutes until spinach is soft. Season with salt and pepper. Remove to a plate and set aside. Set aside the pan for a moment, as well.
3. In the meantime, break up the matzos slightly and soak in a bowl of cold water for about 1-2 minutes until soft. Be sure you don’t let them get too soggy! Drain the matzos and squeeze out the water. Combine the matzo in a bowl with eggs and egg whites.
4. In the same pan, melt the Smart Balance over medium-high heat. Add the matzo/egg mixture, cooked onions and spinach. Scramble together, stirring constantly until eggs are cooked.
4. Divide among 4 plates. Sprinkle each plate with feta cheese and serve immediately. Let everyone season their own with salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 4 servings (each serving, 1/4 recipe).
Matzo Brei means fried matzo in Yiddish. Matzo Brei makes a delicious dish for any meal.
Cooking the onions in the microwave first until soft allows you to use less oil when sautéing with garlic and spinach.
Weight Watchers (old points) 5
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (each serving, 1/4 recipe)
256 calories, 8g fat, 21g protein, 27g carbs, 6g fiber, 531mg sodium, 0g sugar
FAT FACTS: for 1 serving
371 calories, 21g fat, 18g protein, 30g carbs, 6g fiber, 950mg sodium, 4g sugar
Looking for more Passover recipes? We have several here for you at Midlife Boulevard.
4 Quick and Delicious Passover recipes (including Pesach sponge cake and tzimmes)
And you can find more amazing Passover recipes from Nancy on her site.