Teresa Kindred is one of the founders of the BAM Bloggers at Midlife Conference. Read more from her on her blog, NanaHood.
I’ve had some Should Have, Would Have, Could Have moments over the years. How about you?
I don’t dwell on them, but they exist. They are scattered along the highway of my life like tin cans full of 100 dollar bills that I tossed in the garbage can not knowing that what I thought was useless-was actually valuable.
There are no do overs in life but there is something I can do about missed opportunities. I can use what I have learned from the past to keep me from making the same mistake in the future.
Questions To Ask Yourself
When faced with opportunities how do you decide whether or not you should seize the moment? Here are a few questions to help you decide.
1. Is this relative to my life and my future goals and if so, exactly how? Write down how it is relative and if there are several reasons seriously consider pursuing this opportunity.
2. Talk to a friend who is objective. Sometimes friends can see things we can’t, positive and negative. Just make sure it’s a friend who isn’t biased about whatever it is you are asking for advice about.
3. Imagine it’s 5 years from now. Will you regret missing this opportunity? If the answer is yes then find a way to make your dream happen!
4. Find someone who has done whatever it is you are considering doing and talk to them. Ask them what they consider to be the benefits or draw backs of the choice.
5. Do extensive reading to help you decide. Sometimes the answer lies in research!
6. If you decide you really want to pursue the opportunity but something is standing in your way, write down your obstacles and ask a friend or partner to help you figure out a way around your road blocks. If there is a will….there really is a way.
Finally, think about this quote from John Greenleaf Whittier, “For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: It might have been.”
Here’s hoping you will seize the opportunities that come your way in 2015!
Attention: Writer/ Blogger Friends!
Don’t Let Should’ve, Would’ve, Could’ve keep you from the BAM Bloggers at Midlife Conference!
For those of you who are writers this is your personal invitation to join me at #BAMConf15 It really is an opportunity too good to miss!