7 Layer Bar Recipe for Passover Dessert
My Passover Magic Bars are rich, sweet, gooey and definitely addictive. This 7 layer bar recipe is a takeoff of my Outrageous Magical Bars.
Our family loves them so much I’ve converted my regular skinny recipe for Passover. I use matzo crumbs instead of graham cracker crumbs and a spread like Smart Balance to replace the reduced-fat butter.
Also, I add in dried cranberries. They require no mixing or fussing. So you just need seven ingredients layered right in the pan.
7 Layer Bars Weight Watchers Points
The skinny for 1 yummy bar is 162 calories, 6 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers POINTS. One regular bar has 356 calories and 23 grams of fat.
Start a tradition this year because they’ll probably become the most requested dessert to make for Passover.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 25-30 minutes
7 Layer Bar Ingredients
- ¼ cup Smart Balance Light or Benecol Light
- 4 matzos, unsalted or 1¼ cup matzo meal
- 1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ c. dried cranberries
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup flaked coconut (sweetened)
- 1 (14oz) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Break the matzo into pieces and place in a blender. Cover and blend on high to make crumbs or start with 1¼ cup matzo meal.
3. In a 13 x 9 baking pan, generously coat with cooking spray. Add the Smart Balance and place in the oven to melt. This will take about a minute. Remove from oven.
4. Sprinkle the matzo crumbs evenly over the top of the Smart Balance. Do not mix.
5. Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the top.
6. Next, sprinkle the cranberries and then the walnuts. Finally, sprinkle the coconut evenly over the top.
7. Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the chips. To make the milk easier to drizzle, place the can in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes.
8. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
9. Cut into 24 squares while still somewhat hot. Please note if you let them cool they become very difficult to cut.
Makes 24 bars
Sweetened condensed milk binds all the ingredients together in this 7 layer bar recipe. It’s normally made from a mixture of whole milk and sugar that has about 60% of its water removed.
The milk’s consistency is thick and sticky like honey and is very sweet tasting. I’m using a fat-free version made with nonfat milk.
Weight Watchers (old points) 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 bar
162 calories, 6g fat, 3g protein, 23g carbs, 1g fiber, 60mg sodium, 18g sugar
FAT FACTS: for 1 regular bar
356 cal, 23g fat, 6g protein, 38g carbs, 2g fiber, 163mg sodium, 31g sugar
Find more delicious recipes on Nancy Fox’s website, Skinny Kitchen