These NEW adorable dinner cupcakes have all the great flavors of Mexican food. The savory topping is a combination of a little guacamole, skinny ranch dressing and salsa. They are fantastically low in calories and fat. Each delectable cupcake has just 107 calories, 3 grams of fat and 2 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time 40 minutes
1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey, see shopping tips
1 cup onions, diced into small pieces
½ cup red bell pepper, diced into small pieces
½ cup corn (cut off the cob) or frozen and thawed
½ cup salsa, I love Pace Chunky Salsa (medium) or use your favorite
¼ cup cornmeal or 1 ounce (~⅓ cup) reduced-fat tortilla chips, crushed into crumbs, see shopping tips
1 egg, I like using Egg-Land’s Best eggs
¼ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup salsa for topping the meatloaf before baking
Ingredients for Topping:
¼ cup mashed avocado, about ½ avocado
2 teaspoons salsa
Dash of salt and pepper
¼ cup salsa
2 tablespoons The BEST Skinny Ranch Dressing (3 ingredients) or fat-free sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 12-cup, regular size muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine beef, onions, red bell pepper, corn, ½ cup salsa, cornmeal or crushed tortilla chips, egg, and a little salt and pepper. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
3. Divide meatloaf mixture into 10 muffin cups. Fill to top and level off. I like to use a ⅓ cup measuring cup to fill each. Spread remaining ½ cup salsa evenly over the top of meatloaf muffins. Add more, if desired.
4. Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Carefully remove with a spoon and place on paper towels to drain.
5. For topping: In a small bowl, mix together the mashed avocado, 2 teaspoons salsa, a little salt and pepper. Top each cupcake with 1 teaspoon guacamole and spread about ½ teaspoon salsa over the top. Drizzle each with about ½ teaspoon ranch dressing or sour cream.
Makes 10 meatloaf cupcakes
Trader Joe’s extra lean ground beef is a terrific, healthy choice. It has 130 calories and 4 grams of fat for 4 ounces. Free forming the loaf cuts the calories and fat down even further.
Salsa is actually a very healthy food. Thanks to the tomatoes, onions and chilies, it’s heart healthy and can help to prevent certain types of cancer. A ½-cup serving of salsa contains approximately 35 calories, 2 grams of fiber and 0 fat.
I used Trader Joe’s extra lean ground beef. Most supermarkets sell extra lean ground beef or use ground turkey, if desired.
You can use either cornmeal or crushed reduced-fat tortilla chips. There are several brands of baked tortilla chips in the supermarkets such as Guiltless Gourmet or Baked Tositos Scoops.
Weight Watchers (old points) 2
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 2
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 meatloaf cupcake including topping 107 calories, 3g fat, 17mg chol, 10g prot, 8g carbs, 2g fiber, 323mg sod, 3g sugar
FAT FACTS: the skinny and fat facts are the same for this recipe
Find more delicious, healthy recipes on Nancy Fox’s website, Skinny Kitchen