It’s luxuriously rich, a bit spicy and so delicious! Now these are some ENCHILADAS! No tortilla rolling necessary. Everything is layered into a simple to make casserole. Even a die hard red enchilada sauce fan, will surely love this dreamy dish. It’s best made an hour before you want to serve it, so it can firm up. And, it freezes great too. Each slice has 289 calories, 5 grams of fat and 7 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients for Enchiladas:
1 cup onions, chopped
2 cups cooked chicken breasts, diced
1 cup fat free cottage cheese
½ cup fat-free sour cream or fat-free Greek plain yogurt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon chili powder (depending on how spicy you want it)
½ teaspoon garlic powder
A little black pepper
8 (6-inch) Mission yellow corn tortillas or your favorite brand
Ingredients for Green Chile Enchilada Sauce:
1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light, melted
½ cup fat-free cottage cheese
1 cup fat-free sour cream or fat-free Greek plain yogurt
1 (4-oz) can Fire Roasted Diced Green Chiles (mild), see shopping tip
Ingredients for Topping:
⅓ cup scallions, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9” square pan with cooking spray. Glass or metal pan is fine.
2. In a large bowl microwave safe bowl, add onions and cook in microwave about 1-2 minutes, until soft. Remove from microwave and stir in chicken, cottage cheese, sour cream or yogurt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and pepper.
3. In another bowl, mix together the enchilada sauce ingredients, butter, cottage cheese, sour cream or yogurt and green chiles. Mix well.
4. Place 4 tortillas, overlapping on the bottom of pan. Top with half the chicken mixture and spread a thin layer over the tortillas. Spread half the enchilada sauce evenly over the chicken. Repeat layers. The sauce should be on top.
5. Cover casserole with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, until heated through. Remove from oven, sprinkle with scallions evenly over the top of the casserole. Bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
6. *Remove from oven and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to set. Cut into 6 servings. Be sure to use a sharp knife to cut through tortillas. Reheat in microwave or heat in a 350 degree oven until hot. If you want to serve it right away it will taste great but won’t hold together into firm slices.
Makes 6 servings (each serving, 1 slice)
Fat-free sour cream or fat-free plain Greek or regular yogurt work equally well in this recipe. I’ve made it with both and can’t tell the difference!
You’ll find a can of diced Fire Roasted Diced Green Chiles in the Mexican foods aisle where salsa is sold. Trader Joe’s also sells it.
Weight Watchers (old points) 5
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice – 289 calories, 5g fat, 8g chol, 27g protein, 35g carbs, 4g fiber, 371mg sodium, 9g sugar
FAT FACTS: 1 full fat Enchilada Verdes – 448 calories, 18g fat, 29g chol, 16g protein, 59g carbs, 525mg sodium, 6g sugar
Find more delicious recipes on Nancy Fox’s website, Skinny Kitchen
Wednesday 14th of October 2015
Thanks a bunch ladies for sharing my casserole today. You'll love how easy it is to make. And, it tastes so good. All the best, Nancy