This chicken is FANTASTIC! I call it gourmet fried chicken since there’s a lemon and wine sauce drizzled over the chicken before serving. To keep it skinny, it’s fried in a very small amount of reduced-fat butter and olive oil. Each serving has only 204 calories, 5 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. A must try!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 14 minutes
4 (4 oz each) chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (1 pound total), see prep tip
A little salt and pepper
1 tablespoon flour
1 egg white (⅛ cup)
1 tablespoon fat-free milk
½ cup bread crumbs, I used Panko bread crumbs, see shopping tip
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light, divided
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth, see shopping tip
1. Place the chicken breasts on a plate. Season chicken with a little salt and pepper and lightly dust with flour.
2. Beat the egg white with milk in a shallow bowl. Toss breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese together in another shallow bowl.
3. Dip each piece of chicken in egg white mixture, coating both sides and dredge in bread crumb/Parmesan mixture and set aside. Continue with the rest of the chicken.
4. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 teaspoon olive oil and melt over medium-high heat. Add the 4 breaded chicken breasts, cover pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until browned and crispy. Turn chicken over, add remaining tablespoon butter to pan and swirl around to melt. Cover pan, turn heat down to medium and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes until browned and cooked through. Remove chicken to a serving plate.
5. Add the wine and lemon juice to the pan and heat for about 2 minutes over medium heat until pan sauce is slightly reduced.
6. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.
Makes 4 servings. Each serving 1 chicken breast
Panko bread crumbs come from Japan and are typically used to coat foods for frying or sauteing. They’re coarser than most bread crumbs and create a crisper crust.
Panko bread crumbs are available in most supermarkets in the Asian section. I bought mine at Trader Joe’s.
No need to use an expensive wine for this recipe. I always have on hand in my refrigerator a cheap bottle such as Trader Joe’s Charles Shaw Chardonnay. It’s about $3.99 a bottle.
Today it seems most packaged chicken breasts weigh more than 4 ounces each. If the breast is larger or too thick, slice in half lengthwise through the entire piece to create 2 breasts.
Weight Watchers (old points) 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 (4 oz) fried chicken breast with sauce
204 calories, 5g fat, 2mg chol, 26g protein, 7g carbs, 0g fiber, 252mg sod, 0g sugar
FAT FACTS: for 1 KFC’S CRISPY FRIED CHICKEN breast
470 calories, 28g fat, 25g carb, 31g protein, 1g fiber, 930mg sodium, 5g sugar