I still remember my first writing gig, the one in which I pronounced myself a Sex Goddess and introduced my intentions to write about and work with midlife women who wanted a different kind of sexual life.
Women who were looking for more freedom to explore and expand their sexuality and the information and resources to make all that happen.
I have saved some of the comments from that first article and the ones that followed. They, you, provided the inspiration for Inviting Desire, my new book which is now for sale.
*Midlife Boulevard has provided affiliate links to assist you with your shopping throughout this post.*
- At 55 you have know idea how much I needed this. Thank you so much!
- My husband thanks you in advance, Walker!
- I am 67 years old, have been single for 32 years, but about 5 years ago a long standing friendship developed into something more. I am experiencing the most meaningful and joyous sex of my life. I feel more alive and sexy than I have ever felt in my life. Your words are so “right on.” I will keep them as my mantra when I wish I had even more.
- Again you’ve nailed it (I promised I wouldn’t use the cliché pun!). Our generation has had such a learning curve about this topic. Even reading the article made me want to giggle at first, but then I really got into it and learned so much more than I knew before.
- I am amazed and have become very educated through the emails I receive [from you]. I am 59 years old. And I’m becoming very savvy in certain situation in life now dealing with men in general. Keep the emails coming. Thanks.
What You’ll Find In Inviting Desire
Inviting Desire: A Guide for Women Who Want to Enhance Their Sex Life, is a book for women of all ages, written with the midlife woman in mind. Women in their 40s to their 60s didn’t have the benefits of sex education or appropriate resources about sex growing up. We’ve had to find our own way, and it hasn’t always been easy.
These are the reasons I became a sex writer and educator—and they’re the reasons this book is so important—as a resource for you. I hope to reach those of you who are ready to more fully experience your sexuality, to feel more alive, and ready to defy that “old folks don’t have sex” adage.
What else will you find in my book? In Inviting Desire you’ll find ideas, resources, positive messages about sexuality, and exercises designed to reinforce the learning and help you go a little deeper. Thirty chapters, or days, each focusing on a different aspect of what it means to embrace your sexual side.
Not necessarily a guide on how to have sex, the book does focus on how we as women benefit from learning our own sexual responsiveness, how and where we like to touch and be touched. There is a chapter on asking for what you want and one on the importance of sexual health. I talk about sex and the single woman, how we think about our sexuality as we age, and how sex is not just the orgasm.
I share a little of my own journey in the book because I want women to know that each of us has to figure out what we want in intimacy, whether single or partnered. It’s never too late to have fun exploring your sexual side. That’s what Inviting Desire is all about.
Head to Amazon if you’d like to order a copy of Inviting Desire today.