This NEW breakfast recipe is pure eggy bliss! It starts with a really wonderful, skinny egg salad. Next, it’s mounded on top of a toasted bagel thin with tomato and light cheese. Finally, it’s baked in the oven until the cheese is melted. Each serving has 198 calories, 8 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. If you’re like me, you’ll be making this every week!
Prep Time: 30 minutes (including making the hard boiled eggs)
Bake Time: 5 minutes
4 eggs, I like using Egg-Land’s best
1 tablespoon Best Foods Light Mayonnaise (Hellmans) or your favorite light mayo
1 tablespoon pickle relish
1 teaspoon yellow mustard or spicy brown
A little salt and black pepper, to taste
1 bagel thin, I love the everything or choose your favorite, see shopping tip
4 thin slices of tomato
2 tablespoons light cheddar cheese
1. To Cook Eggs-In a small pot, add eggs and cover with water. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Drain water and place eggs in a bowl of ice water for 30 seconds. You want them to remain warm but not too hot to handle. Remove from water and peel eggs.
2. In a small bowl, using a cheese grater, shred 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites. Throw away the other 2 yolks or use them in another recipe. Stir in mayonnaise, relish, mustard and a little salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. Lightly toast 1 bagel thin. On top of each bagel thin lay 2 thin slices of tomato to each bagel half. Divide the egg salad mixture and place over the tomatoes. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese.
5. Place on a baking sheet and bake in oven for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Or, heat in microwave until cheese is melted.
6. Plate each and serve at once.
Makes 2 servings
Eggland’s Best eggs have less saturated fat, less cholesterol, more Vitamin D, more Vitamin E and double the Omega 3 than regular eggs. That said, choose any large eggs you like to use.
There are several brands of bagel thins sold in major supermarkets. I used Thomas Everything Bagel Thin. Each has 110 calories and 1 gram of fat.
Weight Watchers (old points) 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 5
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
198 calories, 8g fat, 173mg chol, 14g prot, 17g carbs, 3g fiber, 422mg sod, 3g sugar
FAT FACTS: for 1 serving using full fat ingredients
294 calories, 14g fat, 265mg chol, 14g prot, 23g carbs, 436mg sod, 3g sugar