Healthier hash browns? Yes, please!
These delicious hash browns from Pennie Nichols of The Accidental Blogger are not just delicious – but they’re better for you than the greasy and overdone alternatives. Give them a try and let us know what you think.
Instead of frying your hash browns in a pan, you can air-fry or bake them. It’s simple. Toss grated potatoes with onion, peppers, and seasoned olive oil, then air-fry or bake. Vary the seasonings and peppers to taste.
Recently my CSA box from Luckett Farms included red potatoes. I grated one potato, sautéed it with onion and pepper and used that as the base for a breakfast omelette. I liked the texture of crisp grated potatoes, so for dinner I decided to grate the rest and make hash browns. Only, I opted to use my Phillips Airfryer to cook them. If you don’t have an airfryer, you can bake them instead.
- 2 lbs. potatoes grated, with or without peel
- 1 med. onion finely chopped (I used yellow but added chopped green onion as well)
- 1-3 peppers finely chopped (sweet or hot or both)
- ¼ c olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp parsley (oregano, thyme, dill, or ??)
- Soak grated potatoes in ice water for 20-30 minutes.
- Prepare the other vegetables while the potatoes soak.
- Mix onion and peppers.
- Grind olive oil, garlic, and seasonings in a mini food processor or blender. I used my Cuisinart Smart Stick grinder attachment.
- Strain the potatoes.
- In a large bowl, toss potatoes, onions, and peppers.
- Drizzle seasoned oil on potato mixture, mixing well.
Preheat airfryer to 330°.
Place potatoes in basket. Do not overfill.
Air-fry for 9-12 minutes. NOTE: Set timer for 3 minute intervals, and stir potatoes every 3 minutes.
Preheat oven to 450°.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Spread thin layer of potatoes on cookie sheet.
Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring every ten minutes. NOTE: Time will vary depending on your oven, the thickness of your layer of potatoes, and how crispy you prefer them).
Serve as a side, with ketchup, sour cream, or cheese.