Did you ever have this dream? You are invited to a spectacular Christmas ball, all of the women are stunning in head-to-toe sparkling gowns. The ballroom is adorned with simple evergreens covered in white twinkling lights. Suddenly at the top of the long staircase, you enter. All eyes turn and whispers of wonder…who is that captivating creature in the Oscar de la Renta gown?
I can see it now. Except–reality check–for me, this is only a dream.
I am going to take a wild guess here. I would surmise that the majority of us do not attend really elaborate balls or functions where a full-on gown is required. I believe most of us will attend holiday parties which range from family and friends to the traditional office gathering. There are ways to look festive in denim and in the simple or understated. Before I give you specific ideas, please allow me to throw out these two cautionary statements.
Both of these are aging, so resist these temptations:
- Sparkle overload. A little well placed sparkle is fine…just do not go head to toe in sequins or rhinestones.
- Going over the top. Do not wear actual Christmas attire with trees, lights, Santa, reindeer. Unless you are invited to one of those Ugly Christmas Sweater Parties, this is just not a good idea.
But, there are several festive and fun holiday fashion ideas for holiday party outfits for women over 40 and 50.
All you need is one fabulous garment, like these:
- A sequined top: These can be worn beautifully with jeans or pencil skirts, depending on how fancy the party. Remember to top off with fabulous heels. Red ones are seasonal with black outfits. A dream purchase of mine is to find an affordable black sequined duster. There are so many beautiful ones; usually they are too pricey for an occasional wear. But if you own one, wear it!
- A killer black dress: Pump it up with a gorgeous statement necklace! Let the accessories tell the story. A beautiful coat can make this outfit. It is important the dress fits your figure well.
- Black or white flowy, wide legged pants: These are popular once again and look beautiful with a gorgeous cashmere sweater or simple wrap blouse, topped off with a statement necklace. Please remember when you wear any oversized garment, the flattering look is to go opposite with the other garment. So with these pants, wear a fitted top…not a big tunic. If you were to wear the tunic, pair it with leggings or slim fit pants, not these.
- Black Denim: For the more casual party, pair these with a beautiful white cashmere sweater or again a simple sequined top. Remember, booties are everywhere and big this season. With the sweater, this can be a fabulous casual style. If you want to dress it up more, go for the heels. Just make your feet happy…remember some parties include dancing! I am usually the one on the dance floor in my stocking feet.
Like these ideas? You can buy them here:
Little black dress with sleeves (Until Wednesday, use code CYBERMONDAY for 25% off everything.)
Red suede flats (Free shipping.)
Black wide legged pants (Until Wednesday, use code CYBERMONDAY for 25% off everything.)
Red sequined shirt (Use coupon code FRIEND for 25% off.)
Black booties (Free shipping.)
Black denim skinny jeans (Use coupon code FRIEND for 25% off.)
All four of the main pieces are wardrobe builders, because they can be worn for many different occasions…not just the holidays! Finally, you do not want to be burdened with a big bag, so make sure you have a couple of beautiful clutches in your closet.
Do you have a favorite holiday party outfit? Please share it with us!
I would love to do a Midlife Boulevard post with some of you in your party finest. Send the pictures to me at [email protected]. And make sure you have tons of fun!
Thanks for stopping by The Joy Boutique…have a wonderful week…stay warm, safe and fabulous!