“Ever get the feeling your stuff strutted off without you?”
If this line is familiar, it might be recognized from a Hallmark card. There are days when we all feel old… tired… moving slower… as if our stuff left the house without us. Winter seems to bring more of these feelings on, but it might be time to spring clean our attitudes, as well as the closet.
Of course, you can do something wonderful like go to Paris or schedule a spa weekend – that would work for anyone! But, if budget is a concern, there are a few basic steps we can take to improve our attitudes immediately and make sure we strut again. Affiliate links are provided below for your convenience.
- BRIGHTEN YOUR COUNTENANCE. Add a new makeup to your morning routine. There are excellent options at all price points – from Loreal to Yves Saint Laurent. Adding light to the eye area and a light-weight face foundation or powder can really brighten complexions and give a younger appearance. Look for products that focus on illumination.
- EXFOLIATE ALL OVER. Begin a full body exfoliation routine at least twice a week in the shower. This is the time to focus on elbows, knees, hands, and heels to wake up after a long cold winter and send dry, dead skin on its way down the drain. Again, there are products at all price points, but you can make an excellent one yourself. Just mix ½ fresh lemon, ½ cup of granulated sugar or salt, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of honey and put in a plastic container or jar for use in the shower. There is just something about fresh lemon which puts a spring smile on the face. Remember, after exfoliation your skin will soak up immediately whatever you put on it! It’s the perfect time for a rich moisturizer or oil.
- BRIGHTEN THE LIPS. Head over to your favorite beauty counter and test some new lip colors. Adding a little color, whether it be pink, coral or red, can brighten your countenance as well. Go to test the colors so you don’t waste good money on one which ends up not working for you.
- FIT YOUR FIGURE. Cold weather tends to drive many of us to comfy robes and big cozy sweaters. It is very easy to feel old when we sit around a lot of the time wrapped in a blanket. Time to wear clothes which fit your figure, no matter your size. It will make a difference in how you feel about your clothes. Again, the dressing room and a good 3-way mirror is important. Spend some time trying on different styles for a wardrobe that is spring-fresh. Wearing clothes which fit and improve confidence just naturally send us out of the house with a big smile on the face!
- FINALLY, OVERALL SELF CARE MATTERS. I do not know why, but cold weather makes me want to cook and eat! So, if you are like me? You can begin with a cleanse (research the best ones); commit to a healthy eating plan; hydrate often (even consider infusing your water with veggies or citrus); and move your body! If self-employed like I am you have to be mindful to move and make it a priority in your day. It is easy to hunker down with work and just sit. So don’t fall prey to the bottom heavy business, MOVE! I have even put on some Rolling Stones and danced in the living room … no hidden cameras, please!
There are many other ways to feel youthful again and put the old mantra behind us, but these five will immediately freshen you up. What do you like to do when feeling old? How do you bring back that youthful feeling again?
Thanks for stopping by the Joy Boutique! Have a great week everyone… keep smiling!