Please note that some links are affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, we receive a small percentage that helps keep us in business. Thank you for supporting Midlife Boulevard.
“I need something for my grandmother,” the young woman said to me as she entered the store on Black Friday. “I guess pajamas. That is all she ever wears. She never goes out.”
“Oh, I am so sorry,” I replied. “Is she ill?”
“No, she says she is too old to go anywhere.” You can imagine my surprise when I discovered grandma is in her 70s! Hardly old. Her granddaughter told me that she has lost her confidence to enjoy life. My suggestion? Let’s give her a reason to get out and have some fun.
I believe the best scenario for a gift would be to plan a shopping trip with the grandmother and guide her in some decisions to take her look from PJs to joyful. Take her out for the day and include lunch at a fun restaurant. Remind her of life outside of the house.
Whether it is on a shopping trip, or if you would like to actually purchase pieces of clothing to gift her, there are some ways to pump up her style and hopefully give her a reason to get out there again. Coordinate a makeover with the rest of the family: have some gift clothing; someone gift a certificate for a hair stylist; and someone gift a certificate to a good esthetician. A complete feel-good package!
For the clothing, remember baby steps are best. Just give her reasons to begin a makeover:
- A CLASSIC WHITE SHIRT WITH COLLAR. She can wear this with pants, jeans, leggings, or skirts. The classic white shirt is always in style and can be found in tunic length as well. It is a perfect go-to piece and always says chic.
- A NAVY BLUE SWEATER. It looks good on anyone and is a great addition to her wardrobe. Consider a V-neck in a quality knit, silk blend, or perhaps cashmere in colder climates. The V-neck opens the face and gives length to the look.
- A STATEMENT ACCESSORY PIECE. It could be a scarf of many colors, necklace, or jacket which would go with any casual look and hopefully give her a reason to get out and show it off. Find out her favorite color and gift it to her in an accessory.
- A PERFECT FIT PAIR OF JEANS. This will probably take a shopping trip to achieve just the right fit and encourage her to select dark denim for a polished style she can wear anywhere.
- A FUN PAIR OF SHOES. According to the experts, shoes hold the power of bringing a smile to any woman’s face. If she has tossed the heels, then show her how many fun flats and comfort shoes are on the market. Do not give her another pair of house slippers!
I understand how life can shut someone down and how low self- esteem can drive an older woman to sit all day in comfort wear. It might take a team of encouragers to surround her, but she can be shown a difference with a reinvention plan. What better time of year to begin again, and receive purposeful gifts which encourage her to enjoy life? Sometimes we all need a cheerleader.
Don’t give in and gift the PJs. Show her life is short and there is still joy to experience.
Any other ideas for gifts for the stay in grandma?
Thanks for stopping by the Joy Boutique. I hope you all have a wonderful week.