Edgy is one of those interesting words. On the one hand it describes those who are irritable, defensive, and having a bad day. On the fashion hand, it describes those who are experimental, avant-garde, trendy, off-beat, a little bit biker, and a little bit rock and roll. Some midlife women embrace the Madonna within, and others run from it. However, there are ways to find a compromise.
Last week, my husband asked me to go to a concert with him at a small nightclub called The Evil Olive – how I love the name! It was one of those times when I found that I desired a little edge to my evening look. To go too far would be a bit much. I didn’t want to become the entertaining grandma reliving her Woodstock past. But some well-placed edge can create the cool grown up look you’re searching for when headed for a fun evening out.
Here are some suggestions on those nights when you desire to communicate a touch of edginess (affiliate links are provided to assist you with your shopping experience!):
- Wear Black. Of course! Black is always appropriate for living on the edge. These days more women wear black all year-round. It is not a cooler weather choice like it used to be. I have a few sheer black tunics and jackets for nights like this.
- Shoes Speak Volumes. A shoe can bring a lot of edge to a particular look. Top off your denim with a boot, bootie, or heel that shows flair. The shoe you choose can be a lot of fun for a night out.
- Traditional Edge. Yep, there are some pieces automatically associated with edgy. Consider the biker jacket. Look for fun options available in cooler fabrics for warm weather bikers. These are fun on top of your dark blue or black denim. Also, silver chains for a layered necklace has a similar effect. Another traditional touch? Opt for a dark nail polish. I like the deep dark purple or blue.
- Leather (real or imitation!). A leather or faux leather skirt, leggings, or pant give that perfect edge and look amazing on all ages of women. Make sure the fit flatters. Pair this with a simple, sheer white top and you can wear them at night in most climates. This look then becomes edgy-chic. These fabrics are all over the end-of-season sale racks so give them a try. You may be pleasantly surprised. Mixing textures in your evening style can also provide the edgy look, depending on your selections.
- Embellishments. I have a pair of black, cropped length, leggings with silver hardware on the bottom. They come out often for my ventures over the edge. I pair them with a black tunic. Sometimes a simple embellishment will make the statement you’re looking for.
Edgy can be fun and there are times I want to send that message, regardless of my age. I do caution, as in all things, be sure you control the message and avoid getting carried away. Wearing all of these at once would be way overboard! A little too close to KISS, if you know what I mean.
How do you achieve a touch of edge in your style?
Thanks for joining us today in The Joy Boutique! See you next week.