Vilma is a freelance writer who can be found at That Girl is Back celebrating who she is as she journeys through midlife. This post was originally featured there.
“Men have become the tools of their tools.” – Henry David Thoreau
I’ve adapted to technology but I do recall a time where documenting every restaurant meal, new haircut or your pet’s cone of shame would have put you in the minority. In those days, I survived and thrived, and sometimes in the wee hours of the night or when I’m facing the “beach ball of death” on my Mac I wish someone would take me back to a place where I don’t have to see these messages:
- “Safari Can’t Find Your Server” – My MacBook has aged or maybe it’s my internet provider who is going through their own midlife crisis, thanks Netflix!, but whatever the reason this message keep popping up on my computer. If there’s been a server in my house and if this server is hiding I implore them to come out. I can assure them that they will be a welcome addition to my world and as long as my meals are lukewarm, but served to me, I will be elated.
- “You Haven’t Logged Your Dinner” – The year I paid for the Weight Watchers app would have been better spent on a pair of leather boots. I attempted to reach lifetime membership but I broke up with their app and downloaded MyFitnessPal for free. The point is to track your meals and I often lose steam by dinner. I now receive alerts telling me that I haven’t logged my dinner. Well, maybe I’d like to keep that to myself. Perhaps I don’t want to share that I inhaled 50 pistachio nuts or smothered artisanal cheese on a rosemary, olive baguette before dinner so ponder that the next time you stalk me for my dinner log!
- “Storage Is Full” – My iPhone is on the way out since upgrades are stolen from you in the middle of the night in my household. Storage is Full shows up when I attempt to take a photo of the dog looking cute or the dress I’m considering purchasing, events I would never dream of documenting when photos carried some import. So now it’s not just my kitchen cabinets that need to be decluttered.
- Facebook Notifications – I’m a magnet for folks who tell me their secrets in store lines, various offices and when I’m trying to buy a pair of shoes, but it’s the endless over-sharing of happiness on Facebook that puts me on edge. I’m happy you are happy but please let’s have some balance here. Either mess up your hair in some of those pics or let us in on the secret that you don’t really know all those good looking people!
- “You’ve Got Mail” – I’ve never been a numbers person, so AOL needs to stop counting how many emails are sitting in the account I escaped from by creating a new account that I attempt to keep under 500. If you’ve just asked me for my email because you are a manning the register at Ace Hardware I’m sorry I responded as though you asked me for my kidney.
So before Big Brother was a reality TV show, this omnipotent force introduced by George Orwell spooked me. Fretfully I have to advise that the time has come and the server I’ve never met has been abducted, I’m now forced to report what I had for dinner, Marie Kondo lives in my phone, happy perky people have invaded the planet and if I open one email a day I might catch up before the “beach ball of death” stops spinning!