These turkey meatballs and homemade sauce are AMAZING…So flavorful! They’ll be a hit with both the adults and the kids. Each serving includes 4 small meatballs, 1 cup of sauce and has 267 calories, 10 gram fat and 7 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. This recipe is so versatile you can serve over whole grain pasta (as pictured) spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, steamed veggies, baked potatoes or over whole wheat toasted bread. Enjoy your dinner!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Crock-Pot Time: low heat about 6 hours or on high heat 3 hours
Ingredients for Meatballs:
½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs made from ¾ of a piece of whole wheat bread, see step 1
1.25 pound package (20 ounces) ground turkey breast 93% lean
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Ingredients for Sauce:
2 cups onions, diced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1½ tablespoons garlic, minced
2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¾ teaspoon salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (add ⅛ teaspoon more if you like a bit of kick)
1. To make the bread crumbs: Toast bread. Place in blender and grind into crumbs.
2. In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, bread crumbs, cheese, egg, garlic, salt and pepper. Using clean hands, mix all the ingredients and form 24 small meatballs, about ⅛ cup each (2 tablespoons)
3. To cook onions: cook in microwave for 3 minutes to soften.
4. In a small, nonstick pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until light golden but not burned.
5. Pour into crock-pot the garlic and oil, crushed tomatoes, softened onions, sugar, oregano, bay leaves, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Mix well. Drop meatballs into sauce, press them down to cover completely with sauce. Set crock-pot to low, about 6 hours or on high heat about 3 hours.
Makes 6 servings. Each serving, 4 meatballs and 1 cup sauce.
Note: There will be 1½ cups extra sauce for another use. This extra 1½ cup sauce has not been calculated in the Skinny Facts.
If you’re looking for a wonderful crock-pot, check out the one I’ve got. I like a large one because you can use it to make a large recipe and still use it for smaller ones. Makes a terrific gift too!
Weight Watchers (old points) 5
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7
SKINNY FACTS: for 4 meatballs and 1 cup sauce
267 calories, 10g fat, 98mg chol, 25g prot, 23g carbs, 5g fiber, 356mg sod, 2g sugar
FAT FACTS: the skinny and fat facts are the same for this recipe
Find more delicious recipes on Nancy Fox’s website, Skinny Kitchen