Links may be affiliate links
It is not just October, or autumn, but, also, transition time for our wardrobes. Some of us are already experiencing a touch of chill in the air, and some are still dealing with heat in the 90s. In Texas, we understand the art of layering. Many mornings during fall and winter, we leave the house freezing and come home sweating.
While layering is a great technique for wardrobes, it can also be used by some women, who may lack confidence, as a tool for hiding parts of their bodies that they don’t like.. There really is an art to the process in order to look our best throughout the day!
Here is my 7-on-7 plan for layering…seven tips you can use seven days a week:
- As always, fit is important. Layers can become bulky and unflattering to our figures, so be careful to select lightweight, body-conscious fabrics…of course, fabric selection is also determined by the level of cold in your neighborhood. Remember, we can wear leather, ladies, and it is perfect for warmth and fit! Make sure the garments underneath your coat fit your figure well. This has been an important lesson for me to learn, no matter my weight or size. It takes courage for some of us to fit the silhouette, but we need to remember it will help us to look smaller and not larger.
- Use your accessories for warmth and not just appearance. Gloves, scarves and hats are better layering tools than ultra-heavy garments. Beware of wearing a scarf on your head. It is aging. I know Audrey Hepburn pulled it off, but few of us are Audrey Hepburn. How about a fun fedora or beret?
- Try to add an interesting textile underneath coats, so when the coat comes off, you will see an outfit statement piece in a top, skirt or dress. Again, keep the sweaters underneath form fitting and not too bulky.
- Go for tights and leggings. Don’t go for socks, unless the socks are hidden in a beautiful boot! Keep your leg line in basic neutral colors for a flattering look. If you have on black tights, wear black booties, shoes or boots. When colors are changed up on the bottom, it will shorten the look.
- This year mix things up with a beautiful cape or poncho. Try these lieu of a coat or trench. Some of the cashmere selections are perfect for warmth and style.
- Have courage with coat selections. This is where confident style can be seen when you look in the mirror before leaving the house. Belt your trench coat or even select a non-traditional trench with a print or in black rather than camel. Also, leather bomber jackets can look good at any age.
- Dress in front of a full length mirror. Look at your outfit as you add layers. As some of you will take layers off during the day, you want to look your best each time something is removed. For example, don’t wear the outside coat as the main piece of your look…you need to have confidence to remove it when you arrive at your destination.
Please don’t use layering as an excuse to hide! Step out in confidence and own those cool-weather days. Would anyone else like to offer their suggestions? Thanks for stopping by The Joy Boutique!
Have a gorgeous October week!