Why Can’t You Wear White After Labor Day?
Good news– you can wear white after Labor Day! That rule is as old and outdated as not wearing black to a wedding. With summer coming, now is the very best time of year to add white into heavy rotation in your wardrobe.
In the fashion and style scene, white clothing is everywhere and acceptable anytime.
Just a few days ago, this conversation took place in my classroom:
High School Girl A: Mrs. Lutrell, do you think it is okay for me to wear white pants to a party tonight?
Me: Of course, white pants are very in right now.
High School Girl B: Oh no, no one should wear anything white before Easter or after Labor Day. Everyone knows that. (Other girls nodded in agreement)
I smiled and explained this was an archaic fashion rule which has been gone for a long time, but that many of us in midlife were taught by our mothers the old time frame for wearing white.
I hoped I was not getting in trouble with anyone’s mom, but those rules really are gone and white is going to be big throughout this entire year for all ages.
Recently I attended an event for our local fashion society and many of the ladies were wearing white with bright colors. The combination was gorgeous and refreshing.
So, if you would like to join in with those donning white, I have some suggestions.
How to Wear White Fashions
- White pants or jeans – you can just about wear them with anything. I found a great pair on a clearance rack recently. They are cotton, shorter length, and a slim cut leg. I was thrilled to find them priced so reasonably. My friends in France tell me that the Parisian woman is wearing white pants as part of their regular wardrobe now. White pants are a must have in Paris.
- White leggings – These look wonderful with a bright colored tunic top. I love them with bright blue, green and fuchsia.
- White jackets or cardigans – Yes, to wear now. I like the boyfriend length in a white jacket and to style it with a black blouse and pants. Black and white will still be a trend this spring.
- White pencil skirt – a great addition to your wardrobe for right now and as we get into warmer weather, you could consider a white dress.
- White blouses – Most of know we need a classic, well fit, white collared shirt in our wardrobe. This is important for any midlife closet and can we worn all year long.
- White accessories – For now, consider white scarves, bracelets and necklaces. You can shop for a great white shoe for the spring season.
Find the Right Shade of White for You
I believe all of us have our own shades of white we like. And usually the shade we like is the one most flattering to our individual complexion. I have always favored the more creamy white over the bright whites. Very pale or very dark skin might be more flattered in a pure, bright white. My husband has never understood the difference, but I get it!
One more archaic rule: somehow, we were taught white will make you look heavier. I do not find that to be true at all. The right cut and fit of a garment is the important part, no matter the color.