(Please note: some links are affiliate links)
“I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils.” Remember that great line from You’ve Got Mail when Tom Hanks was celebrating autumn in New York with Meg Ryan online? Well, I realize it is not autumn, but many of us are programmed to think of sharpened pencils during this time as Back to School Sales begin around the country. Children will reluctantly return soon to their desks and homework, and life will kick back into somewhat normal schedules for growing families.
Yet, many of us on the Midlife Boulevard are done with those years. We no longer have school aged children to purchase supplies for or teachers to lavish in gifts. So why should we care about all of those Back-to-School sales? Quite simply….MONEY! There are great savings to be had, and this is some of the best financial advice out there. About sixteen states will also add to the savings by hosting Tax Free Holiday Shopping to ease the burdens for families who must buy clothing and supplies during this time. Don’t tune out this time of year; rather, tune in.
Ways to save include:
- Clothes…There are no rules that say you cannot shop and save because the savings are targeted at students. In fact, this is a great time to save on basics, such as undergarments, socks, and gym clothes. A few retailers will jump in with fall items on sale now, and summer clearance goes even lower.
- Shoes…I almost always get the family athletic shoes during this time, but shoe sales are across the board for all styles. Your college student and husband can also save.
- Beauty Products. Again, they are put in place for the students and we benefit. Basics for hair, skincare, deodorants, bath soaps, hair care supplies (flat irons, dryers, etc.), and makeup supplies are all on sale.
- Office Products. Here is where I really stock up. The basics such as printer paper, pens, and notebooks, anything for the office are all on sale. Also, find printers, cameras, laptops, tablets…all technology to prepare students for college on sale. I have already purchased a printer for my new office. I often purchase a stack of spiral notebooks for fifteen cents a notebook and I will use these throughout the year. My son also likes them for college. A pack of 12 ball point pens can be found for $2.05.
- Organization Needs. I am particularly interested in this category this year since beginning to work at home and I need to get the house better organized and my office organized.
- Household…Many household decorative items are on sale as well. It is a great time to pick up savings on a new bedding set, shower curtains, bath mats, and pillows. Small appliances such as coffee makers, toasters, and small refrigerators are all on sale.
All of these will be under the BACK-TO-SCHOOL sale banner! But, do not stay away. It can even be a perfect time to put away some holiday and wedding gifts. Who knows? You might also afford a beautiful bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils!
What savings have you discovered during this time of year?
Please share and thanks for stopping by The Joy Boutique!