We love this list from Corinne Rodrigues. It’s positive, upbeat and empowering. Read more from Corinne on her blog.
- You are on this Earth school so that your soul can prepare for the next phase of living. Be open to all learning.
- At the end of your life you want to be proud of the choices you’ve made. Makegood choices.
- If you have made poor choices, own them and imbibe the lessons they were meant to teach you.
- Life is no picnic, but neither is it a drudge. Learn to enjoy every aspect of it.
- You get to write your own life story. Make it a bestseller!
- You are responsible for your life. Don’t let it be hijacked by anyone else. Put yourself first.
- Never apologize for being who you are.
- Invest time getting to know yourself. Remember, you have to live with yourself for the rest of your life.
- Sing in the shower. Happiness is an inside job. Choose to be happy.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. I promise you that the world won’t come to an end if you wear your clothes inside out in public!
- There’s nothing better than a good belly laugh. Laugh often.
- Plan for the future, but live in the moment.
- Don’t let your past dictate your present choices.
- There are mean people in this world. Learn to deal with them skillfully.
- There are good people in the world. Make sure you connect with more of them.
- Give of your time and presence to others.
- Value your time and let people know that you do.
- Be punctual. Don’t waste other people’s time because you can’t be better organized.
- Take nothing for granted – not even the air you breathe.
- Be grateful for everything. Gratitude will see you through a lot of difficult times.
- Take care of yourself. The world owes you nothing.
- The Universe is very benevolent. Learn to plug into its resources.
- Practice mindfulness. Self-awareness is the key to living a mindful life.
- Be kind. Your acts of kindness especially when done with no expectation of reward, will bring much soul satisfaction.
- Be open to love. There’s always that one person out there that will get you. Keeping looking for him/her.
- Be God-aware. Know that there’s a Higher Power in control of the Universe.
- Seek intelligent company. Learn to make intelligent and interesting conversation. There’s nothing worse than a bore!
- Realize that everyone is creative. Find your creative outlet/s.
- Practise forgiveness. Forgive yourself and others too.
- Give and you’ll get. (Yes, Mom, I know you told me that!).
- Have dreams and goals. Know when to pursue them and when to let go. Sometimes the best learning is from unfulfilled dreams and unaccomplished goals.
- Know when it is time to let go of a relationship. Believe me, you and the other person will survive (thrive, even!).
- Make time for silliness.
- Money is not the root of evil. Envy often is.
- Get yourself a pet. I’d suggest a dog, naturally.
- Appearances can be deceptive. Learn to look beyond the obvious.
- Don’t trust anyone who is nice all the time.
- Learn to value your own opinion. Take the advice of others, but the final call should be yours.
- Trust your intuition.
- Enjoy the little things – the smell of rain, the sound of birds, the feel of a warm blanket, chocolate…
- Shrouds have no pockets. You can’t take your wealth with you. Be prudent, but never miserly.
- Get a regular massage. You deserve to feel good. Drink plenty of water too.
- Live in grace, never in guilt.
- Be comfortable with your emotions – they are only indicators of what’s going on within you.
- Count up to 10 before you write an angry letter, email or social media update. Run it by a trustworthy person before you send/publish it.
- Take regular naps. Rest your body – it’s good for your soul.
- Make room for awe – a sunset, a baby’s birth, a baby’s smile – let them fill you with awe.
- Remember that you haven’t seen it all, experienced it all and don’t know it all. Be open to new experiences.
- Life is short. Make it meaningful.
- Reach for your dreams, but remember that every day on this earth can be a dream too. Make it a technicolor one.
Thursday 3rd of September 2015
This belongs on Huffington Post Seniors!
Sunday 6th of September 2015
Ah thanks, Sandra!
Wednesday 2nd of September 2015
I will add one more. Share the fun!!!
Tuesday 1st of September 2015
I love that happiness is an inside job. How true. And how often we look outside ourselves for fulfillment. Many words of wisdom here.
Tuesday 1st of September 2015
Number 5 scares me. I know there is no restart button to rewrite your memoir but....if only we were given a second chance. Because we are not, we need to make these changes the sooner the better. Wonderful list, Corinne