Links may be affiliate links.
Gazing with the passion of a Carrie Bradshaw, I stood in awe of the platform. These would be my first. Gorgeous Bruno Magli stilettos displayed on the floor of Neiman Marcus. My first purchase of heels priced over $100… which for me in my late 20s was an investment. But, these shoes were intoxicating. Throughout my early career, I was seen in heels. Composed of 98% women, the Dallas advertising agency where I worked was fierce in client competition and dress.
But, a stunning pair of heels on my feet just gave me the posture and confidence I needed to compete right alongside these success driven women. A podiatrist told me this love of heels is what really killed my feet. As aging progresses, there have been bunions, surgery, callouses, corns, and now hammer toes. No more heels…such a bummer.
However, shoe designers and fashion retailers in the last ten years have delivered big doses of hope. Flats are in style in major ways and there are so many fun designs, my love of shoes has returned! If you are like me, in need of flat inspiration, here are some ways to go and have fun with your style including a few key words to help with shopping:
- THINK SWAN LAKE. The wonderful women of Paris have taught all of us to love a great ballet flat. They come in all styles and colors, and look great with pants, leggings, skirts, and even some casual dresses. A confident, reliable look can easily be done with a knit legging, or ankle pant with a tunic or white blouse and ballet flats. I particularly love my leather ones in black, bronze, gold, and brown.
- THINK MEN. The English Brogue is everywhere. A beautiful menswear inspired shoe for women are comfortable and fun when there is a desire to mix things up a bit. For warmer weather, try them with boyfriend style of denim or khaki pants, a long white blouse, a jacket and a brogue. This is a fun casual style many of you will love. They also work great with a pencil skirt.
- THINK GYMNASTICS. From the streets of Paris to a typical suburb, sneakers are everywhere and worn with practically anything. Just about any casual wardrobe choice goes, so be creative and enjoy the comfort.
- THINK SOUTHWEST. For spring and summer months, espadrilles and moccasins are fun vacation flats. They can be found in all colors and prints. I like them with denim skirts and walking shorts.
- THINK CHIC. Pointed toe flats are available in beautiful leathers, metallic, animal prints and neutrals. No reason to stay home if heels cannot be worn.
Maybe we have a bunion here…or a hammer toe there…but great style is still within reach…do not despair. Beautiful, comfortable shoes abound. Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life started a group Pinterest board for inspiration. Follow the board to keep the ideas coming.
Have a great week everyone…thanks for stopping by the Joy Boutique for our weekly talk.
Has anyone purchased some fun flats lately…please share…where did you find them and what’s the style?