Welcome back to the Joy Boutique, friends… a place where we can sit, sip tea, and discuss inspiration for our wardrobe and personal style. Basically, for my New Year’s resolution, I picked a word…COURAGE. I want to live more courageously this year in all aspects of my life. Taking a few fashion risks can definitely be fun.
However, let’s keep the fundamentals in mind. None of us want to waste money. Right? Therefore, remember the dressing room is not our enemy, but our safe haven. It is the place where we must take time to really evaluate a piece of clothing before we buy.
I agree with stylist and designer Rachel Zoe when she says, “Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak.” We should look in the mirror every time we dress and ask, “What am I saying about me with this choice of outfit?”
Now, here are the places I want to test the waters just a little this year:
- Better Fit: No matter the size of our bodies, wearing clothes which fit the figure just looks better. I think many of us tend to hide inside of over-sized clothing because of fear and insecurity. There was a time I was fearful of pencil skirts. After stepping out of my comfort zone and trying them on, that is now my go-to skirt choice. It is time to boldly wear clothes with better fit and enter the room with our heads held high. I will be practicing this courage particularly with tops and dresses….it is time for a form fitting LBD in my closet!
- Pop a New Color or Two: I began the year with a new look at the color pink, a color I have loathed for a long time. For some reason, I am completely into it now. I love the Pantone Color of the Year, Marsala, and currently, I am on a treasure hunt for it. Select some colors not living in your closet and spend time with them in the dressing room. Be open minded to change.
- New Pant Lengths: Harper’s Bazaar reports 2015 is the Year of the Pant. Just about anything goes. We are going to see culottes return with trendier names. I plan to spend time looking at the different lengths and pant widths to see what flatters me most. I am certain you can tell, if you follow my blog, I prefer pants.
- Resort to Resort Wear: Almost every designer has a resort wear collection for Spring 2015. Perhaps you are like me and do not travel that often…so… look at these collections any way. You will be inspired to take your casual styles to some fun new levels. There are great designs with gorgeous colors and prints. No cabana necessary…wear these outfits on a date!
- Thoughtful Accessories: Here is where our personal style can really shine. Our jewelry, shoes, bags, scarves, even glasses can make or break a look. I want to put more thought and planning in this area…especially for my work outfits.
As always, I will strive to send five basic messages with my wardrobe selections. Dressing with strength, confidence, classic style, creativity, and a touch of courage has helped me to develop Pam-style.
How can you be more courageous with clothing choices this year? What messages are you sending with your current choices? Join in the conversation!
In order to get your mind and excitement going, I have put together a Pinterest Board for MIDLIFE STYLE. http://www.pinterest.com/over50feeling40/midlife-style/
You might check it out before your shop.
Have a great week and I will see you again, around our virtual table, in the Joy Boutique