Some links are affiliate links
September 1…and as if J.K. Rowling were writing about my backyard in the morning, an ever so tiny hint of fall is in South Texas air. After doing a little research, and understanding that no one truly knows, I see in autumn forecasts an El Nino influence. This means more rain and cool weather earlier than many expect.
I am definitely in a “transition’ mindset lately, so I have decided to transition my wardrobe a little earlier than I usually do. Normally, this post would come at least after Labor Day and not before. But, let’s talk today about some easy ways to transition our wardrobes from summer to fall.
- Color Selection. Go ahead and put away the pastels and bring out the saturated, rich colors of autumn. If you need some ideas, make sure and check out some color ideas on the Pantone website. Begin to mix in these colors even with small touches of accessories. Scarves provide excellent ways to wear fall with your short or mid-length sleeves. Keep the white pants and jackets in your wardrobe rotation. They work all year long…no matter what your mother told you about white after Labor Day!
- Shoes and Nails. It is time for me to put away my sandals and put on my closed toed shoes. Warmer weather demands cooler feet and bright pedicures. But, my new business environment calls for a shoe over the sandal. Also, in some climates, you will be able to wear your cute booties now. Speaking of pedicures, I also transition nail color. I am currently wearing gray on my hands, and a toasty cinnamon color on my toes. No pastels here either!
- Long Cardigans. This is a great piece for transitions, and in the summer sales I picked up three and will begin to wear them now. One is rich eggplant purple, another is leopard, and the last, winter white.
- Trench Coats. This is really a wardrobe workhorse every closet should have. I do not wear the traditional trench, but have always preferred a black trench. Sounds like this year will put them to good use, and you might want to make sure you have a cute umbrella and rain boots. A perfect polished look includes any color of the trench coat.
- Stockings are back in style, ladies. Especially, black opaque stockings. This time in between the warm and the cold is a good place to wear these with your dresses and skirts. I will add a word of caution, these stockings are heavy in appearance so make sure your entire look isn’t too dark or heavy before the colder weather comes in. Just wait a little later into fall before pulling out the dark plaids and heavier fabrics (unless you need the warmth)!
Yes, it is technically still summer, but these five ideas are easy ways to begin to refresh yours looks and mix things up a bit. That often provides a brighter outlook…a spring in your step…and your own form of cool breezes blowing through your schedule.
What are the first wardrobe changes you make this time of year? Let us know, and then have a wonderful week.
As always, thanks for stopping by!