Some links are affiliate links
“The incomparable George Burns, who lived to see his 100th birthday, said, ‘We can’t help getting older, but we can help getting old.’” – Valerie Ramsey in Creating What’s Next Gracefully.
It has been an interesting time in my life. Leaving a long time career…evaluating and seeking what the next steps should be…looking at household finances with concern…and adjusting to my daughter and grandchildren living on the other side of the world. Part of my personal battle has been to control the stress. Now, I realize some of you face more difficult circumstances with serious illness, family srife, world economy woes…all levels of stress exist throughout this audience. I was not surprised, however, to see job change and finances in the top ten stress causes on the Livestrong website.
The fact is, if we do not control stress it will cause serious illness and pre-mature aging. In her book, Creating What’s Next Gracefully, Valerie Ramsey devotes some time to important wellness facts we should keep in mind during high stress times. Her goal is to promote healthy aging over anti-aging…because we all know it happens whether we like it or not.
Here are the top five facts from the book which I desire to keep in mind during this stressful time of life (for more, order her book through the Amazon link provided):
- According to the American Institute of Stress (Hmmm, maybe I should look there for a job!), up to 90% of all health problems are related to stress. The immune system and the body’s ability to heal quickly are directly affected by stress and one’s overall mind-body health.
- Research confirms that our thoughts and emotions have a dynamic effect on our health and vitality. Scientific studies have also revealed a strong link between our emotions and our complexions. Activities designed to improve our emotional state have the added benefit of improving the quality of the skin.
- While baby boomers have aged in years, most haven’t aged in spirit. Many are not retiring just to spend their days at home. Instead, they are living active lifestyles, traveling, even embarking upon second careers. For them, retirement represents an opportunity to live out their dreams.
- The spa can be your best friend, and is worth keeping in the budget, as therapeutic massage, rejuvenating medi-spa treatments, and personal care can help. All activate the body’s natural reparative processes, reduce stress, and help to achieve a balanced, healthier life.
- Beauty and wellness go hand-in-hand. Your skincare regimen, fitness level, and lifestyle choices all affect how you look and feel.
Friends, during a time of high level stress, I believe it is important for us to be aware of how it can bring on the wrinkles, fatigue, and poor health. June was my time of grieving the job change. I left a place where I loved to work, loved my co-workers, and loved my students. But, now it is time to move forward with purpose, hope and joy. I am mindfully aware to be true to a healthy eating plan, continued workouts, proper hydration, and proper skincare care. I know many of you participate in yoga and meditation. For me, I begin my day in prayer and strength training. Whatever our choice, we must be aware of the consequences if we allow stress to rule our lives.
Is anyone else going through a time of stress, or have advice for conquering it? Please share and thanks for stopping by The Joy Boutique!
See you next week!