It is one of the great paradoxes of my life, the fact that it was harder to lose weight when I was focused on being fat. I did not begin to lose the weight until I accepted myself and started to dress the body I currently owned. When I saw myself looking and feeling great again, even with weight on my body, I finally was motivated to get healthy and begin to lose.
At the ripe age of 50, I was wearing a size 20-22 W. I am now a size 16 M. Believe me, we have come a long way, baby! However, I often get comments from readers who think I am smaller and do not believe I am a size 16. In fact, I have had brands send me clothing too small, because they based my size on pictures and did not ask.
I studied several fashion and style books to learn how to look slimmer than I actually am… and when I am true to the advice, it works! So, here are my top five tested and proven steps for those who struggle with extra pounds:
- ACCEPT YOURSELF. As I said, it starts here. Accept and dress yourself as you are today! Choose to look your best each day and you will be surprised how it motivates you to get a healthier body.
- WEAR CLOTHES THAT FIT. Another paradox! We tend to reach for the tunics and the oversized garments to hide the pounds, when it fact, it makes us look larger. Wear clothing which fits your curves as close as possible. It does make a difference.
- ELONGATE YOUR LOOK. Former What Not To Wear stylist, Clinton Kelly used to say, ‘You want to look like a long, tall, cool glass of water!” How I achieve this is to often wear solid neutrals underneath – like a black top with black pants, a brown top and brown pants, or a navy top with dark denim. The darker colors are slimming. Watch your body proportions and do not wear outfits that cut you off somehow. I usually wear longer pants or leggings. A V-Neck or shirt with a collar opens up your neckline for a longer look rather than a round or boat neck collar. Finally, a longer necklace will also elongate your complete look.
- JACKETS HAVE POWER. Jackets can appear to take ten pounds off your look. They need to have seaming for a proper fit and are best when they hit the bottom of your hip. Make sure the seams are there in the front and back so your jacket is not boxy. Also, shoulder seams need to hit where the shoulder stops.
- UNDERGARMENTS… WHICH FIT. Many of us have experienced how a proper fit in the bra will give the appearance of weight loss. Lift those girls up and there is a waist! I highly recommend a professional bra fitting. Also make sure all undergarments are fit well and not creating bulges.
These are simple things I practice all the time and I know work to give a slimmer silhouette. I remain a work in progress and hope to lose more weight, but if for any reason I did not, I know I will continue to look and feel my best. I hope this encourages the ones who confessed last week to struggling with weight issues.
Would anyone else like to offer any tricks you have learned to look slimmer than you are?
Thanks for stopping by the Joy Boutique….have a great week!