Links may be affiliate links.
Women of a certain age are as diverse as any other group. Some scoff at the phrase “fashion trends” and others salivate over it. But, like it or not, every season is preceded with a set of guidelines and new looks for the fashion industry; and, almost every time, some are worth trying and others just leave us wondering “WHY?”
For example, I have been quite vocal about my distaste for the recent trend called “distressed jeans.” I agree…they are distressing. Why someone would place a beautiful blouse or jacket atop jeans which are torn and ripped is beyond me. The only communication I get from these looks is “I am trying really hard to look young and act hip, but it is not working.” However, these jeans are perfect for weed pulling in the yard!
However, on the flip side, I’m completely on board with the new stylish jogger pants. These have arrived in silk, leather, jersey knit (to name a few high end fabrics) and answer desires to look trendy, stylish, figure flattering and comfortable…all at the same time. However, many women I know are slow to even consider this look. The reason? They just cannot believe clothes traditionally seen in the gym or running down the sidewalk could be amazing in a fine restaurant or even appropriate in a professional setting.
Since, the jogger pant is worth considering for any age woman, I offer these recommendations:
- Pick a favorite retailer and go try them on! Select quality fabrics, and, begin with neutrals rather than prints. The style wears really well in a beautiful silk, or silk jersey knit and are very chic in white, black, grey, or taupe. I just purchased a faux leather in an out-of-season sale…love them!
- Make sure to look at the style in a three way mirror to observe completely if the pants are figure flattering, front and back. Remember, different designers and different manufacturers will not cut their style the same. You must try them on and spend time before a mirror.
- Take some jackets and tops along in the dressing room and understand how to wear this style before purchasing. Otherwise, they may sit in a bag on the floor of your closet or eventually be returned. It is beneficial to study styling in magazines, on blogs, and on mannequins before shopping.
- Make sure this look communicates the messages you want to send with your style. Distressed jeans communicate sloppy, lazy, and bland. However, when styled just right, this pant can communicate creative, chic, stylish, confident. But, if you don’t see those messages, then don’t buy. You should see it at the store and not try to convince yourself later.
- Do they fit with your current wardrobe? Do they fit into your lifestyle? In the words of the famous Project Runway mentor, Tim Gunn, “A trend is good only if it works for you, your wardrobe, and your lifestyle.”
- Do they make you feel confident or self-conscious? There is a difference. If you are confident, you enter a room, head held high, and don’t care what anyone in that room thinks. If you are self-conscious, you are concerned about the opinions of others and it will show on your countenance and in your posture. We always want to walk with confidence….let’s own that room, ladies!
Finally, do not scoff at a fashion trend until you have actually tried it yourself. I always spend time in the dressing room before I give an opinion. I am so glad I tried on the jogger pants… just bought pair #2. Is anyone else a fan? What about the ripped jeans…am I wrong, here? Thanks for stopping by The Joy Boutique! Summer is just around the corner…keep smiling everyone!