We love these inexpensive and fun suggestions from Jolene Ewert. Who says romance has to cost a lot of money? Read more from Jolene on her blog, All Jolene.
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, it’s time to start making plans. This night of love typically ends up costing a pretty penny. But, it doesn’t have to. Here are some fun ideas that won’t break the bank. Now, you can focus on what really matters; spending some quality time with the one that makes you smile (when he isn’t driving you nuts).
- Take a walk. Yep, it’s just that simple. Leave the cell phones at home and go enjoy the evening, just the two of you. You could go stargazing, go for a walk through the park or go window shopping downtown. Stop for ice cream; share a sundae and some laughs.
- Build a fire. Snuggle up with your sweetie and enjoy roasting hotdogs and marshmallows. Tell some scary stories (make-believe or real). Remember that time he wore that Bermuda shirt and sandals with socks?
- Go on a picnic- indoors. Set up a tablecloth on the living room floor. Use paper plates, paper cups, plastic silverware (or whatever you have on hand). Enjoy some old fashioned lemonade and simple finger foods. Play card games, board games or just reminisce over all of the Valentine’s Day dates you have had (or those to come).
- Learn a new hobby. Take time out to teach each other one of your favorite pastimes. You will each learn a new hobby and learn a little bit more about each other. If you prefer, learn a hobby together that is new to both of you.
- Take a picture. Each of you has one hour to take at least ten pictures with your phone, iPad, digital camera, etc. The pictures should be of something that reminds you of your partner. Get back together, share the pictures and explain their meaning. Create a slideshow for your computer or a DVD.
- Cook together. Make a special meal together at home. Here’s the trick: you can only use food you already have in the fridge or pantry and you must make a new dish that neither of you has made before. You will save money on that fancy restaurant and discover each other’s talents.
- Paint a picture. Purchase two cheap canvases and some finger paint. Paint portraits of each other or of a memory you share together. This activity will bring on laughs and intimacy. When you are done with your artwork (a great keepsake), clean each other up!
- Dance the night away. Many local studios offer great deals for Valentine’s Day. Get dressed up and go take a salsa dancing lesson together.
- Be bookworms. Go to a local bookstore together. Pick out some of your favorite reads and share them with each other. Share some poetry with one another while enjoying a cup of cocoa or coffee. Browse a Kama Sutra book to spark some ideas for when you get home.
- Get physical. Gyms typically offer free day passes. Go together and flirt like you just met. Get to know each other all over again. After you are both hot and steamy, cool down in the pool.