Our lives have become so inundated with work and caring for others, we often forget how important it is to relish in touches of everyday luxurious indulgences – you know, little things that make us smile, or remind us of how special we are.
When I was around twenty-two, I drove into work with a fellow employee named Nancy. After work she suggested we make a little stop into our neighborhood high-end florist and gift shop.
I wandered around the shop and made note of several items I would like to purchase at a later date until finally joining Nancy at the floral refrigerator. She politely directed a member of the staff to the most perfect pink tulips I had ever seen.
As we climbed back into her car to make our way home, she shared with me that she made this stop every week.
“There’s nothing lovelier than returning home to pink tulips after a long day,” Nancy stated.
My afternoon with Nancy would become a permanent reminder of how important it is to add luxury into my every day.
We often think we have to book reservations to stay at a swanky resort in an exotic location for true luxury. Sure, this type of pleasure is always exquisite, but for most an experience like this is few and far between. It is crucial to add touches of La Dolce Vita into our basic life routines to ensure that our “pleasure well” doesn’t run dry.
There are affiliate links scattered throughout this post to facilitate your shopping experience. Thank you for supporting Midlife Boulevard.
Six Simple Ways To Add Luxury To Your Daily Life
- Flowers: Add lovely, fresh-cut flowers to your home. I took Nancy’s advice. And the sight of brightly colored flowers as I enter a room makes for a magical moment.
- A beautiful writing pen: After completing my first book, I invested in a lovely pen by artist Michelle Morin for Anthropologie. It’s decorated with a floral motif and has gold detailing with the inscription – Write it down. Each time I use my pen, I’m reminded of just how special I am for accomplishing such a huge task.
- Well-Kept wipes: These wipes are a staple in my handbag and at my desk. These wipes are made to keep our eyeglasses and cell phones clean. They come in a variety of uniquely decorated packets, and with one swipe you’ll find that your items will be kept tidy. There is something I really enjoy about retrieving the packet from my purse. You’ll never want to use a cloth or tissue for cleaning again.
- A Classy Wallet: Another item we keep in our handbag, when selected with great intention, can bring an element of luxury to our lives – the wallet. Tucked away in the darkness of my handbag, for years I didn’t give it much thought. Until I noticed a very chic woman retrieve her wallet from her bag at a makeup counter. It wasn’t stuffed to the rim with old receipts and various thingamabobs; rather, it was made of quality leather and was pristine and orderly. I immediately re-evaluated my fabric wallet and made an instant upgrade.
- Hydrating Beauty Mist: I’ve always been a fan of treating my skin, throughout the day with a hydrating beauty mist. But instead of settling for just a plain water mist, how about the delicate scent of rose? With each mist your face receives, your olfactory senses are also indulged. My favorite hydrating beauty mist is called Love + Roses by Olivine Atelier, and I carry it in my purse for whenever my face needs a drink and I’m in need of a sweet indulgence.
- A Pretty Umbrella: Now that we’re entering the cooler months and the rainy season will be upon us (if not already), a special umbrella in a whimsical, colorful design is a perfect rainy day accessory. Ditch the dull colored one you bought from the drug store after getting caught in an unexpected shower. Make your umbrella an important part of your winter wardrobe, and spend time selecting one that really resonates with you. You’ll feel a touch of splendor each time you use it.
As you can see, you don’t have to spend loads of money to live a luxurious life. It is often the little things that give us the greatest feeling of joy and pleasure. I hope you’ll adapt these or other ideas into your life because you deserve it!
Like this? Read Glenda’s tips for maintaining a modern woman’s wardrobe.