I am a Christmas movie connoisseur! The obsession began when my daughter lived at home and we would make it a fun night…countless movies and sweets, of course! But, my DVR catches most of what Lifetime offers now, so we can watch when the baby gives us permission to do so.
On the surface, here is what I have learned from classic Lifetime Christmas movies:
- If you are a single woman or young lady, never fear, there is always a man waiting to sweep you off your feet. They usually have to be shown they are dating or engaged to a creep. But, Mr. Right is not far away.
- Happiness is found in small town America. Many characters leave the stressful big city to go home (at first, because they have to!)
- Have you noticed how many story lines require the woman to receive a concussion? It is dangerous work to be in one of these movies. But, many dream of their perfect life and find it when they awake from the incident. I have to say my favorite (because I wonder how this story developed in the writer’s head) takes the stressed mom climbing through the clothes dryer for her adventure….you have to love this stuff.
- Many are knock-offs of other movies…yes, regular themes hail from It’s a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol; and this year The Devil Wears Prada!
- Most include some great fashion and will give us style ideas for all ages! However, a regular occurrence is the breaking of high heels so the lead character can either fall into the arms of a male or fall to hit her head! Do heels break off that often?
- Seasoned ladies are portrayed just two ways…either we are very wise and kind; or people-eating CEOs…no in between. Maybe next year, someone would consider a wise, stable, friendly, CEO!
- Often the story brings our female heroine flying in to save a business, save a town, save a family, and, of course, save herself from loneliness, depression, and materialism.
So, you ask, with much repetition and sappy lines, why do I watch them? Because over all, I like the messages:
- Family is important.
- Women are strong and can do anything.
- There is always hope.
- And after stressful days, I can use a little sap in my life!
I guess if you have to climb through the dryer to discover this…it’s worth it!!
Thanks for stopping by The Joy Boutique! Remember there are only seven shopping days remaining until Christmas! Have fun!