Fresh Fruit Salad Recipe Perfect for Spring
My Mom was such a great hostess. She operated under the rule of having everything done in advance so that you can enjoy your guests. So, when I got married in 1984, it was no surprise that she asked some of her co-workers for their favorite “make ahead” recipes to feed all the out of town guests who would be attending the wedding.
This Melange of Fruit Salad was one of those recipes and has been in our family for 32 years. We serve it for just about every special occasion. I like it because:
- You can make it year round with whatever fruit is in season. I’ve made it with apples, oranges, pears, mandarins, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries & grapes. Just whatever looked good in the store that day.
- It keeps for up to 5 days. The wine in the dressing keeps apples and pears from turning brown.
- You can double or triple it easily to have enough for a crowd.
- It’s pretty AND delicious.
- After the fruit is gone, you can drink the leftover dressing and get a bit of a buzz. Someone told me that!
Melange of Fruits Salad Recipe
Uses seasonal fruit with a dressing of white wine & honey.
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp. powdered cinnamon
Dash of allspice
3 TBS. fresh mint, chopped
Dash of Amaretto
Put cut up fruit into serving bowl.
Mix rest of the ingredients together and pour over fruit.
*If I don’t have fresh mint, I have substituted Crème de Menthe for the mint and Amaretto.