As I have said before, I am an autumn woman. I love November and December and all the beauty, chaos, adjustments this time of year brings. I love the scents, signs, delicacies, music… the whole package. However, this time of year also presents us seasoned ladies with some challenging fashion decisions. Have a look at your wardrobe – what jumps out at you?
In dressing for holiday moments, we first must decide what messages we want our clothing to say about us. If you want to be known as cute, funny, carefree, then by all means pull out the theme sweaters and rock them with confidence. Understand for midlife women, the “theme sweaters” communicate “grandma,” and are aging. And again, if that is what you want, then, of course, wear them with pride.
Now, on the other hand, if you desire to communicate strength, elegance, and stylish confidence there are many other choices available for any plans you have on your calendar over the next eight weeks. The links in this post contain affiliate links and we will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on a link.
Please take some of these steps into consideration:
- Don’t often wear clothing with an emphasis on traditional holiday color combinations. For example, don’t select orange and reds combined for Thanksgiving Dinner; or red and green for a Christmas function.
- Don’t over-sparkle. A little bling is nice, but avoid sequined sweaters combined with sequined tanks and a rhinestone necklace on top! Go for a sequined cardigan with a solid tank or sweater underneath. Or add a dazzling necklace to a simple neutral outfit.
- Do consider non-traditional color combinations such as black & navy blue; or winter white & silver; cream & merlot or eggplant purple and silver. These can say elegance when worn in simple, classic garments. Step out in courage.
- Do make sure your wardrobe includes a perfect fit V-neck, black sweater; white winter pants; classic pencil skirt; beautiful cashmere sweaters in several colors; and even a cashmere cape or wrap. These pieces give you options which can provide chic styles throughout this time.
- Do wear quality, beautiful accessories; such as leather boots or booties. Allow scarves to provide gorgeous prints and colors without wearing it head to toe. Again, avoid themed jewelry – for the same reasons as the sweaters. These pieces can be aging. But a statement necklace is a perfect way to sparkle!
These are just a few points to consider as we enter into party season, a time of year which perhaps presents fashion challenges. Remember, know what you want to say; look in the mirror before you leave and ask, “Is this look what I am going for?” If it does, enter each room with confidence, keep your head up, and smile.
Have a great week everyone! Thank you so much for stopping by The Joy Boutique!